Image Map

Friday, June 8, 2012

The Day I Almost Killed the Children*

Today was a bad day, to say the least. It all started this morning when I went to make my lunch. There was no lunch meat to make myself a sandwich. Then I thought "I have spaghetti-os!"So I looked for 20 minutes and finally found the thermos. Then it took me another 10 minutes to find the top. And I could only find the top that screws on, not the cup one. But I thought, that's not a big deal. So I warm up the spaghetti-os with cheese the only way to eat them and pour them into the thermos. I screw on the top and BAM spaghetti-os EVERYWHERE. The lid had a crack on the side. Not only did I make a big mess (and a bunch of dishes to clean) but I didn't have a lunch. I got lucky though, since Ken is on vacation he brought me McDonalds for lunch (The kids were sooo jealous lol).

But my bad luck was not over. Right before I left for work I realized I was supposed to bring ABug's Life for the children to watch during lunchtime. I do not own A Bug's Life, my sister does. I called her to see if I could borrow it but, she was at target. Again, Ken to the rescue. After he dropped me off at work he waited at her house until she came home and brought me the movie at work, and my lunch.

I guess I have to kinda give more background for the next part of my story to make sense. As I mentioned before, I work at a summer camp. All the children eat lunch together but there is on little girl that takes a long time. I love her but it can take her up to an hour and a half to eat all her food. We have blow up water slides that we set up for the kids on hot days. Today was super hot so we decided we would take the kids on the slides after lunch. Since that little girl takes a long time to eat my co-worker said she would  sit inside with while she finished and I took the other 9 kids outside. We only let one child up the slide at the time because it is filled with air and we don't want it to sink while they're on it. We don't have many rules (other than obvious ones) but we are very strict about this one. One little girl asked me for her towel while I turned around 3 of the littles on climbed up on the slide. Since the children are so little it really didn't effect (affect?) the slide at all. But it did sink a little. The children were never in any actual danger but I worry a lot. I was yelling at them (I'm not that threatening though, I think one ever laughed) and threatening to tell mommys, daddys, and grandpas. I told them that if I ever saw them doing that again we would never, ever, go on the water slides again. Maybe I was over reacting but I was terrified they were going to get hurt. All of this happened in about 20 seconds.

Now you understand why I wanted to "kill" them lol?


*no children were harmed in the making of this post

1 comment:

  1. Haha! I've had experiences like this at the pool where I work. Scary huh? It seems like kids always wait til you turn your back to do something crazy. =P I hope you have calmer days the rest of this week!
    Alesha <3

    ReplyDelete